Vacation!

This week we will be parenting in a different location (otherwise called "vacation"). I love it when people say "have a relaxing time!" I smile and say thanks. But what I really want to say is "have you traveled with three small children lately?" 

We planned to leave at 9:15. So I packed all day Friday and finally fell I to bed at midnight. I set my alarm for 6am so I could at least get myself ready before the kids were all up, which ended up working well. And we would have even been on track to leave on time if one of the kiddos hadn't started complaining of symptoms sounding suspiciously like a UTI Friday night. So off to urgent care we went first thing Saturday morning. Impressively, we were almost completely packed and at urgent care a full 10 minutes before they opened. A nasty UTI was diagnosed, and a prescription for antibiotics was called into a beachside pharmacy. We raced home, loaded all children and headed out around 10am. I was feeling pretty good about it all, until about 5 minutes later when we had to make our first potty stop. Fifteen minutes later (with 2 Carmel frappes) we were back on the road.  For about 5 minutes before the tears began because a potty stop was desperately needed. The signs were looking ominous- this trip was going to take slightly longer than originally anticipated. Three car accidents, another potty stop, lunch stop, and feeding for Gracie baby am we finally made it to the beach. A mere four. Hours. Later. Did I mention we live about 1.5 hours from the beach?  




It's easy to feel frustrated with all the stops, and the needs of small children. But somewhere along the drive, it hit me:  this is what it looks like to live life with three littles. Life is not particularly more difficult for us.  This is just par for the course when you have three that are 5 and under with the smallest being a mere 12 months. Life is not easy. But at least we are doing life. We are attempting our adventures. We are parenting indifferent  locations. And we are making memories. And for that, I am grateful. 

Comments

  1. just read this ... oh my! I know you told me it took a long time to get to CBCC but I didn't realize it took 4 hours! So glad she got meds and is doing better! It was fun to be at the beach with you, listening to great teaching, walking on the beach, watching the kiddos so you could go for a walk, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts